Self-Service Credit Repair for You
You don’t have to go into a panic every time your hear the phrase Credit Score or the word, FICO. You can do something about your poor credit rating, and you can do it yourself. The folks at Cambridge Credit Repair will do it for you if you give up, but they want you to know that you have the power to fix your own credit history.
If you have just lately been turned down for a loan, or for a new credit card, you may be in need of credit repair. You have either managed your credit poorly, which has reflected in your credit report; or your credit file has some erroneous items, thus negatively impacting your report.
Here is a strategy to help with your credit repair. You can do this on your own and can thus repair your credit for free.
– Request a copy of your credit report from any one of the 3 credit bureaus. If this is your first request of the year, you will be given the report for free.
– Once you have your report, examine it closely. You have to study all the entries and mark all those which are incorrect and which are damaging your credit worthiness.
– After you have determined the wrong entries, you have to contact the credit reporting agencies and tell them to delete the erroneous entries from your report.
– Even if there are some correct entries in your credit report, but these are negative in nature, you could still get them removed. This would go a long way in ensuring credit repair. There is a certain time limit for which negative entries can stay on your report (usually between 7 and ten years). If such time frame has elapsed, you should write to the credit bureaus to delete the negative items from your report.
– Ensure that all your correspondence with the credit companies and agencies is through registered mail. This way, you have proof of your requests and also when exactly you initiated the process of your credit repair. Keeping a record will also help you in case any deleted entry is re-included in your report anytime in the future.
– Within 30 days, some action should have been taken regarding the wrong items on your report. If the credit bureaus determine that the entries were in fact wrong, they will remove it from your report, thus bringing about the credit repair that you were after.
In case the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, you should continue challenging the items on your report till such time that credit repair has indeed occurred.
DO NOT DO THIS:
People whose credit report is low or who have a bad credit report often try desperate means to repair credit and thus end up hurting their credit even more. The majority of the information available on credit score repair and credit report repair tells you what to do to restore good credit. However, we will tell you about some of the things that you should NOT do in order to repair bad credit.
1. File Segregation: Many credit repair companies lure people with the false promises of bad credit repair by telling them that they can create a new credit file for them by issuing them a new identity. This is known as file segregation. You need to understand that such a process is not legal and can even put you behind bars if you try to segregate your credit file to repair bad credit. Thus, no matter what any credit repair company tells you – things like you will not be able to get any loans or even a credit card for the next few years, or that you will not be able to get a job etc; under no circumstances should you agree to the process of file segregation to restore bad credit.
Deleting accurate information from credit report: Some credit repair agencies make claims to people that they can repair credit by getting accurate information of a negative nature deleted from their credit reports, thus improving their credit rating. Thus, you should not trust anyone who tells you that they can repair bad credit by removing negative items from your credit report.
3. Advance Payments: No credit repair company is legally allowed to ask for advance payments. They can only charge for services that have already been given and not beforehand. Thus, you should NOT be taken in by any company who wants high advance payments. When you sign up for one of the financial coaching plans from Operation Care, Inc. you also receive credit repair.